This one took some thinking as to what I wanted to do. After a few false starts, I finally settled on my idea by mid afternoon.
When my grandmother died almost 30 years ago, my mother inherited some of her Royal Doulton collection. After her own passing five years ago, my sisters and I were charged with settling her estate.
Due to a glut in the market, because I'm sure many children of aged parents were finding themselves in the same position, these once prized figurines now held little but sentimental value and we in essence gave them away to a dealer in the area. Feed the Birds, The Flower Sellers Children and this, The Balloon Lady were among my grandmother's favourites.
White gouache was used to get the highlights on the porcelain. The rest is a mix of watercolour, Tombow marker and watercolour pencil.
ETA: okay, wasn't happy with the quality of scan so went back in and darkened the green balloons as well as some of the planes of her face. this is better.

No comments:
Post a Comment