Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Week 3 Sketchbook Skool

Sketchbook paper is not watercolour paper so it was interesting to try and get a wash down smoothly. We were to tackle sky and water this week and I'm satisfied with what I ended up with. Yes, the darker blue wash is full of backruns but that was semi intentional to make the water look like the sea.

 
This is a street scene from Piran (Pirano) Slovenia provided by Google maps. Surprisingly to me anyway, the most difficult part of sketching this scene was that it was all on the right side of the paper. Not sure why that was other than I am right handed, but it did force me to really pay attention to scale in order to fit everything that I wanted into the sketch before running out of paper.

Once again the lighter colours have less depth on this scanned image than in reality. The building on the far right edge is a soft salmon-y orange hue in my sketchbook and the rocky shore here looks more like piles of shaving cream LOL. Can't worry about that.  

No comments: