Friday, 18 July 2014

Coloured Pencils

This past week's instructor Koosje Koene prefers to work in coloured pencil so that was her focus, in addition to working outdoors. It's been ages since I've done anything in that medium and trust me, I won't be using it again anytime soon.

Turns out, my left brain is quite the know it all bully. When faced with the challenge of doing this new thing, he just bullied his way to the front and said come on, come on, get on with it already!

I found myself working with increasing frenzy, hardly looking at the flower (because Lefty insisted he knew what a flower looked like) and getting more and more frustrated with what was being put on the paper. Not a pleasant experience at all.

I also find no satisfaction in the slow build up of layers needed to achieve the colour depth. I have much new found respect for artists who choose to work in this medium but I'm glad we're returning to watercolour with the next lesson.

Oh and sketching in public is still on my to do list - there just wasn't time for it at lunch this week. Carol and I had way too much other fun stuff to catch up on.

No comments: