Okay, on to the art! Experimentation is definitely where my head is at these days. After long resisting the idea of an art journal - a physical one - I have set one up. It's not my go to place by any means but I think I can make it work for me. (I won't bore you here with the details of why I've resisted this for so long because well, it's just flat out boring)
I thought long and hard a couple months back about taking Tara Leaver's Abstractify course but the timing didn't work out as my August was filled with other things. I decided when she offered it again in the new year then I would sign up*. BUT this month I am doing her Expressive Charcoal online course. I can't say enough fantastic things about her approach to all of this - she's definitely a kindred spirit.
Anyway, here is a sampling of some of the things I've done so far. They're from my phone so the lighting is horrible, apologies. The bottom two are self explanatory but the top one is part of the magic! It started as an exercise: on a big sheet of cheap paper, close your eyes and draw a favourite place. That was a no brainer for me so I drew the big perennial garden on the far side of the pond and circled around to do the outline of the house. Took a lot of imagination to see it when I opened my eyes LOL.
Next step, cut the paper in two sections and tape it back together in an interesting way.Now, start adding lines, marks, shapes whatever your brain tells you to. Thick lines, thin ones, smudging wherever you feel like. Just play with it. Now cut it again and retape it. And this is what I ended up with. I see an abstract headless nude figure! What I don't see is any evidence of a pond, garden or house LOL and that is the beauty of it. It delights me so much I think I"m going to frame it!
* note to self. Don't forget!



No comments:
Post a Comment