Monday, 15 June 2015

Palette Cleanup

I took a hard look at my paints this morning and realized there were a number of pigments that were taking up precious real estate in my every day palette that just weren't earning their keep. I'd assembled it last September and it made perfect sense at the time from a colour wheel POV. It just wasn't working well with how I'm painting now. Besides, once again the cat hair to pigment ratio had climbed to unacceptable levels LOL, so time for spring cleaning.

So, out with the old, in with some new, fresh paint. Winsor green, certainly a fabulous and very useful colour in the right application but a bit of a bully in my hands, got the boot. Along with Quinacridone gold, lemon yellow deep, indian red and permanent rose. 

New colours on probation are perm sap green, cobalt blue, winsor orange, nickel azo yellow, perm alizarin crimson and perylene maroon. I've also switched from my usual W&N burnt sienna to the pigment equivalent but differently named Mars brown by MaimeriBlu. I picked this up at a workshop I took a few summers ago but have never really used it outside of that weekend.

I also put out less of each colour than I have in the past so that I'm more likely to be working with fresh paint each time. I think that will help keep the saturation of colour that my work sometimes lacks - too much water and stirring of the paint just to activate it from its dried state that it comes out dull on the paper. We'll see if this makes a difference.

No comments: