Monday, 4 August 2014

Virtual Paint Out - Kinmen Island Taiwan ROC

This month's Virtual Paint Out is set for Kinmen Island, part of a small archipelago of islands just off the southeast coast of China, near Taiwan.

The idea is you go to google maps and start looking around for someplace interesting to sketch. Once you've picked your spot you have to capture the link so the blog owner can verify the location.

This can take some time as it's literally as if you've plunked yourself down in the middle of this country to wander the streets at will LOL. Definitely a cheap way to travel and you can be there and back in an afternoon! Here's the link to the original location if you want to see where I was working.

My initial sketch was done with a lavender watercolour pencil to get shapes and proportions right. I then dropped in very loose watercolour and then added ink work with a water soluble pen. The challenge for me was to simplify what I was seeing and to capture the very specific roof lines of the building on the left. While not perfect, I was quite pleased with the results.

Now to see if I can figure out how to submit it to the VPO blog.


No comments: