Our instructor this week was Tommy Kane, a New York artist new to me. Tommy's philosophy is slooooooow down and draw lots of detail. And no starting over - once you've committed to a drawing keep pushing through, even if you feel you've screwed up. It really is amazing how what seem like huge mistakes in the beginning just don't really matter much in the end. Yes, they're still there but so what. Our assignment was to draw our kitchens and plan to spend anywhere from 5-8 hrs doing it.
When I first read about Sketchbook Skool a few months back on some of the art blogs I follow this was the assignment that they were all talking about LOL. I must admit, I wasn't looking forward to it in the beginning because it just seemed so overwhelming. BUT, now, having completed it, it proved to be very interesting. It was fun, frustrating, daunting and overall well worth every minute spent on it. I have a new appreciation for those skilled in crosshatching as a drawing technique. It required much more thought and attention to line than I originally thought. This assignment wraps up the first semester of SBS. I'm hoping they'll be rerunning the second term in October because I'll be there!
ETA: I've tinkered a bit more with my sketch - I noticed that the white bowl in the glass doored cupboard on the right looked as if it was going to fall out, so I hit it with a bit of shadow to push it back behind the doorknob and it looks better to me now. I added my signature as well, to truly finish it off.

1 comment:
I love this sketch, keep up the good work!
Post a Comment